Breathing new life into a Grade II listed Islington (London) Terraced house
This Georgian London terrace house was built in 1791 as part of what was originally known as New Terrace in Islington. It faced on to the New River, which was completed in 1613 and carried water from Ware in Hertfordshire to Sadler’s Wells in London. The river was subsequently covered over in the mid-19th century.
The house suffered in the 1970s from unsympathetic alterations to the internal arrangement, apparently in order to introduce internal bathrooms. The most intrusive works had cut into the spine wall, taking space from the principal rooms, and affecting the rear chimney breast, the roof structure, and the integrity of doors, windows and shutters.
Our clients, who had recently bought the house, wanted RMA to help bring it back to life.
Our approach was to regain the original plan form, where possible, and to reinstate missing joinery. A new kitchen was installed at basement level and the top floor bedroom was reinstated to its original size, with new shutters and a fireplace. We carried out structural repairs to the staircase and the front wall, and enhanced the existing roof terrace.