New additions to a listed Dining Club, London
The Beefsteak Club was established in 1876 and is an exclusive gentlemen’s lunchtime dining club. It moved into its present home in central London in 1896 and its special feature is the arts and crafts dining room on the second floor of an office building. This was previously entered abruptly from a poorly lit utilitarian shared staircase, so we were commissioned to provide a new grand entrance, bypassing the shared staircase. This transformation was achieved by replacing the secondary kitchen staircase with a new curved oak staircase and lantern light over.