This lovely Grade II listed villa lies within the St John’s Wood Conservation Area and dates around 1840. Prior to our intervention there had been works carried out and the house had been stripped of its original features on all floors with only few remaining at ground floor. It had also been extended at basement level.
The proposals have been drawn up keeping in mind re-instating some of the lost period features of the existing building where practical to try and make more sense of the interior again, bereft of traditional detailing. The owner wanted to restore its integrity, removing many of the modern alterations and additions of recent times.
At basement, the kitchen units were replaced by bespoke units and the modern gas fire replaced with a gas stove.
Throughout any modern joinery element not in keeping with the age of the property was reinstated to accord with period details, thereby including cornices, architraves, skirtings, doors and balustrading.
Built-in cupboards were added to the ground floor as well as reinstating the archway opening between front and rear room. First floor was remodelled to create a larger en-suite, improve the bedrooms and install bespokebunk beds.
At second floor works included design of new cupboards and replacement of skirtings.
In the garden the pond was removed and the area landscaped with new steps, paving and external lighting.
Designer and Principal Designer: Roger Mears Architects
Interior Design: Lucy Wilks Limited
Structural Engineer: Conisbee
Contractor: ASAP Construction
Joinery: Matthew King Design
Photography: Carlotta Luke