Menu

Conserving a Grade II* listed House in Chelsea, London

Built within King Henry VIII’s Chelsea Manor Garden, Tudor House is a Grade II* listed building. It was built in 1717 and was Dante Gabriel Rossetti’s house and studio for 25 years. Over time it had been much altered, including by Sir Edwin Lutyens who, in 1905, added an attic storey and replaced the unsatisfactory principal staircase. Tudor House represents a seminal project for RMA, throwing up many problems of conservation philosophy and determining the practice’s significant change of direction into the field of conservation of all types: stone, brick, joinery, glass, plaster, lead, lime mortar and paint. Repairs to it also includes possibly the first use of pure lime in London since before WWII.

Front Elevation - before

Front Elevation – before

Front Elevation - after

Front Elevation – after

Rear Elevation - before

Rear Elevation – before

Rear Elevation - after

Rear Elevation – after

Drawings

Drawings

Geometric Staircase - before

Geometric Staircase – before

Entrance Hall - before

Entrance Hall – before

Principal Staircase - before

Principal Staircase – before

Internal Painting

Internal Painting

Dining room - before

Dining room – before

Dining room - after

Dining room – after

Living Room - before

Living Room – before

Living Room - during

Living Room – during

Living Room - after

Living Room – after

Living Room - after

Living Room – after

Basement Hall, before and after

Basement Hall, before and after

Front Area Staircase, before and after

Front Area Staircase, before and after

Drawing for Front Area Staircase

Drawing for Front Area Staircase

Rear Terrace - before

Rear Terrace – before

Rear Terrace - after

Rear Terrace – after

Drawing for rear terrace

Drawing for rear terrace

Pediment in 1908

Pediment in 1908

Plinth in 1986

Plinth in 1986

Notes on Repair to Plinth

Notes on Repair to Plinth

Drawing of plinth and parapet

Drawing of plinth and parapet

Drawing of urn

Drawing of an urn by James Gibbs

Urn on repaired plinth

Urn on repaired plinth